During the winter months, it can be tempting to spend your days curled up on the sofa, tucked under a blanket, watching your favorite TV programs. However, the winter can actually be the perfect time for you to get on with some of your most pressing home renovation projects.
With that in mind, in this blog post, we are going to take a look at some of the best home renovation projects to do during the winter. So, let’s take a look…
- Freshen up your bathroom and upgrade your plumbing fixtures
You do not need to break the bank in order to renovate your bathroom. Most bathrooms are small in size, so making small changes can actually make a big overall difference.
Why should you upgrade your bathroom?
Before we take a look at some of the different ideas and suggestions for your home, let’s take a look at some of the key benefits associated with upgrading your bathroom:
- Create a more eco-friendly space – We all need to do our bit for the planet. Not only can we create a more eco-friendly home but we can reduce our utility bills in the process. Therefore, upgrading your bathroom makes a lot of sense from an eco-perspective. From saving water to using LED light bulbs, there are a number of different ways that you can go about this.
- Turn your bathroom into a luxurious, peaceful oasis – Bathrooms are often viewed as practical spaces. People get dressed, brush their teeth, and go to the toilet. However, why not think of your bathroom as more of a spa-type environment? Look for ways to create a space that is opulent, relaxing, and luxurious. When you do this, it means you have the perfect place in your home to relax and unwind after a challenging day at work. You can take a long soak in the bath, ease your muscles, and truly enjoy the time you spend in the bathroom, rather than only viewing it as a practical environment.
- Save money in the future – Aside from the benefits that we have discussed so far, another reason why bathroom renovations are so appealing is that they give you the ability to save a considerable amount of money. There are a number of ways you can dot his. Firstly, by embracing more eco-friendly approaches, you can save the amount of money that you spend on electricity and water every month. Not only this, but bathroom upgrades and improvements tend to have a significant impact on the value of your property.
- Enhance your property’s value – Expanding on the list point in further detail, according to research, you can expect a 102% return at resale after a minor bathroom remodel. Therefore, this is one of the best renovation projects to undertake if you are looking to increase the value of your home.
Being mindful of mold and mildew during the winter
Throughout the cold winter months, you have the perfect recipe for mildew and mold buildup due to the combination of closed-off windows and hot steamy showers. So, it makes sense to start off with a deep clean in the bathroom, and then you should re-grout around the tile.
You don’t have to spend a lot to upgrade your bathroom
Inexpensive, small updates include painting an accent wall or replacing hardware, such as the sink faucet. You may want to install LED light strips around a mirror or inside of cabinet doors to improve lighting. You can easily improve bathroom storage by adding pull-out drawers inside cabinets or installing new shelving.
Finally, the effectiveness of simply changing out shower curtains or towels to create an updated look should not be underestimated.
Upgrading old plumbing fixtures during the winter
You can also update your old plumbing fixtures throughout the winter period. This brings the benefit of enhancing the functionality of your home while giving immediate visual appeal. Winter is an excellent time to do this, so long as the temperatures have not gone too far below freezing.
New plumbing fixtures are going to utilize water more efficiently in comparison to older fixtures, so not only will you get the aesthetic enhancement but this project is going to lower your impact on the environment and save you some money in the process.
Another bonus of doing this during the winter months is that this season tends to be pretty slow for plumbers, and so you should not run into too much trouble when it comes to booking professionals on the dates that you want to get the job done.
- Replace doors and windows
Another home improvement project that can help boost the curb appeal, efficiency, and resale value of your property is door and window replacement. This is a big project that can get complicated easily, so it always makes sense to work with reputable and experienced door and window replacement businesses.
Reasons why you should replace your windows and doors
There are a number of different reasons why this is a renovation project that you should consider for your home over the coming winter months, including the following:
- Noise reduction – The first benefit that you can expect to reap by having new windows and doors installed is noise reduction. Whether you live on a busy street or you’re close to a local train station, excess noise can be frustrating and can prevent you from leading a peaceful and restful life. Luckily, you can opt to have high-performance windows installed that will reduce the amount of noise that gets into your home.
- Improve the energy efficiency of your home – One of the main reasons why people get new windows and doors installed is so they can enhance the energy efficiency of their property. By choosing modern windows and doors, you can ensure that your home stays warm during the winter months, as less energy will escape from these points within your home. Of course, there are many different factors that will impact how efficient windows are, so you need to work with an experienced and reputable company. Factors such as the type of glass used, the frame materials, and the gaps between the glass can all have an impact.
- Enjoy more home comfort – The first two points that we have mentioned come together to create a home that is much more comfortable for you and your family. After all, your home should provide an environment whereby you feel comfortable and at ease, and that is exactly what new windows and doors can offer.
- Enhance home security and safety – It is sad that we have to go to extensive measures to protect what is rightfully ours, but unfortunately, this is the day and age that we live in at the moment. With new windows and doors, you can make the most of modern materials and the latest safety features so that you can reduce the chance of any sort of security breach happening on your premises.
- Boost the value of your property – As is the case with a new bathroom, you can expect new windows and doors to increase the value of your property as well. The increase is going to depend on the windows and doors you have in place at the moment and the upgrade you will make.
Are you worried about replacing your windows and doors during the winter?
If the idea of replacing your doors and windows during the cold weather makes you fear how high your heating bill is going to climb, don’t worry! Most contractors are going to replace one door or window at a time, so heat loss will be minimized. Plus, once the doors and windows are installed, you will be able to save a considerable amount of money on your heating bill because you can increase energy performance considerably.
- Upgrade lighting in your home
Last but not least, the third project that we recommend during the winter months is to upgrade the lighting in your property. During the winter months, you are going to rely on your lighting more than you do during the summer months when the sun stays around for much longer.
This means that attention can be drawn to dim areas of your home or harsh lighting. So, why not make the most of this by changing or upgrading your lighting?
Make the switch to LED lighting
An obvious place to start is by making the switch to LED lighting. This is a great way of making your property brighter while also reducing your energy bills in the process. What makes LED lights so effective is that you can achieve the same level of brightness as incandescent bulbs while using much less energy in the process.
Make a plan when upgrading the lighting in your home
One critical piece of advice that we have for you when it comes to the lighting in your home is to make a plan. Whether you are redecorating a room or starting from scratch, a lighting plan will ensure that you tackle all of the essentials and create a space that really works for you.
You should think about the sort of activities that are going to take place in every room, for example, working, relaxing, and eating, as well as the architectural boundaries that need to be considered and the key elements of the room that you want to highlight. Think about the output, scale, style, and even color temperature of the lights before you rush off and make any design decisions. Early planning will ensure there are fewer rushed last-minute decisions and headaches.
When it comes to putting your plant together, you will want to take the layered approach to light. Use different sources of light across various levels to generate ambiance and interest within a room. Utilize lighting so you can make the most of the shape and size of the room. For instance, light clusters make big rooms seem cozier, low-hung pendants create a feeling of height, and uplighting makes a room feel bigger.
Remember that less can be more
You should always keep the material finishes, color schemes, and theme consistent throughout your property, especially when it comes to lighting.
If there are too many different styles in a sordid array throughout the property, it can end up being very confusing on the eye, causing uneasiness.
Lighter, neutral tones are going to open up a space, making it appear bigger. You can add pops of color to create interest via the likes of lampshades. For a more luxurious and cozy feel, consider darker hues. The key here is to keep everything consistent and simple.
Think about adding lighting to light the way during the night
As you know, during the winter months, we spend a lot of time in darkness, as the nights last for a very long period of time. Midnight bathroom breaks are made worse when you either have to feel across the walls to get to the bathroom or you have to turn on harsh lighting that makes you feel like you have gone blind when you first hit the switch.
This is why one of our favorite winter renovation projects is to make the most of directional floor-level lighting for the bathroom, staircases, and hallways. This will act as a guide while creating subtle warmth at the same time.
Final words on the three best home renovation projects to take on during the winter
So there you have it: three of the best home renovation projects that you should take on during the winter period!
Of course, if you do not consider yourself a DIY pro, it always makes sense to team up with a renovations team who can help you to make your winter projects a reality.